Anyone who owns a home and has a mortgage likely has home insurance also known as homeowner’s insurance or or hazard insurance. It affords homeowner’s important coverage in the event of a loss. If you are like most homeowner’s, you pay your mortgage payments and insurance payments timely for years, if not decades. Then something happens – a pipe burst in your home causing water damage, a strong wind storm damaged your roof and caused a leak, mold, a fire, or some other event which causes damage to your property. You file a claim and are shocked at the carrier’s estimate of your damages, you are mortified at the actual cost to repair the damage to your home when compared to the payment the insurance company is trying to settle your claim for, or, even worse, they deny your claim entirely for reasons that you do not believe are just.

The simple truth is, it is not in your insurance company’s best interest to pay you everything you are due under your policy. Insurance companies routinely do not pay out until this is a substantial fight. They have an army of estimators, engineers, contactors, and consultants whose only job is to find a way to determine no coverage or to estimate the least amount of loss. Oftentimes, when a homeowner or business owner files a claim with their home insurance carrier, they are shocked at the adversarial process that is commenced from the very first phone call.

Common Florida Homeowner’s Insurance Claims

Homeowner’s insurance claims in Florida are not limited to hurricanes. Hurricane damage and the associated exterior wind damage is certainly one of the most common kinds of home insurance claims. However, non-weather related water damage is the second most common type of damage that gives rise to a home insurance claim. This kind of water damage claim typically arises from plumbing or appliance issues. Some of the claims my office has handled includes garbarge disposal failure, dishwasher failure, sudden and accidental toilet overflow, and broke pipes or burst pipes.A number of property owners are surprised to hear these kinds of events and the associated water damage is oftentimes covered under their policy.

Most commonFlorida homeowner’s insurance claims:

  • Wind Damage
    • Hurricane Damage from wind
    • Tornado damage from wind
    • Other wind related damage from strong storms
  • Water Damage that is not weather related
    • Pipe burst
    • Drainage backup
    • Appliance failure (dishwasher, garbarge disposal)
    • AC Leak
    • Shower Pan Leak
  • Hail
  • Weather related water damage
  • Theft
  • Fire
  • Mold

How to file a Homeowner’s Insurance Claim

How to claim home insurance? First, document everything. Document the damage by taking pictures. Second, contact your insurance company and promptly inform them about the loss. Third, mitigate as much as possible. Fourth, comply with the insurance companies’ reasonable requests for information. If you find these requests intrusive or somewhat overwhelming, you would not be alone and most people we encounter do, hiring a professional to assist throughout the process may be in order. Contact our office to see how we can help. If your insurance company pays you and you are happy with what they paid you, great. If, however, you are like a great proportion of people who contact our office and have confronted this claims process only to find that your insurance company has underpaid your claim or undervalued your damages, it is time to give us a call.

Property Insurance Claim Lawyerin Orlando

In some cases, an insurance company will pay you far less than what you need to repair the property to its pre-loss condition. Also, an insurance company may even deny a homeowner’s insurance claim that the homeowner believes was covered. In Florida, you are entitled to have the reason for the denial put in writing. You do not have to accept the insurance company’s underpayment or their estimate of the damage if you believe the amount is not fair, reasonable, and adequate. Please contact our staff today to get in touch with an Orlando Property Damage Attorney.